1. Use the Write Cheque.
2. Enter ‘Retainer’ in the memo area.
3. Make sure the Account is to Accounts Payable.
4. Under Customer, enter the name of the lawyers.
(Note: although this is a little unsual, when you choose Accounts Payable as the Account, then the “customer name” is actually the Vendor name).
5. Retainer payment now sits as a credit. * CLICK ON IMAGES TO VIEW FULL SIZE
6. Once you receive the bill, enter the bill normally.
7. When you go to pay the bill you will see a credit pertaining to this Vendor which is the retainer.
8. Apply the credit when you pay the bill.