In my experience of consulting small businesses in getting off the ground where their accounting and bookkeeping are concerned, I have met too many entrepreneurs who come to me like deer in the headlights when they realize that they have started their businesses without considering all the financials.
The key to saving money in the long run and starting your business off on the right foot is to hire a consultant up front to get the numbers in order. You wouldn’t start building the house of your dreams without an architect or engineer would you? The same goes for your business. Don’t wait until the business is in trouble to hire someone – we all know the key to success is to prevent the problems before they have a chance to develop.
Now you are probably wondering, why do I need a consultant when there is a full library of free videos available online? Videos are great but they can’t answer your direct needs whereas a consultant will know what those needs are before even you do. Check out my blog about when to watch a video and when to hire a pro here.
Start off by asking yourself these questions…
- Are you going to run your business as ‘Self Employed’ or get ‘Incorporated’ ?
- Do you have an accountant?
- How about a tax accountant?
- Do you need to register for GST/HST ?
- Are you going to be doing the bookkeeping yourself or are you going to hire someone to do your books?
- Do you have a organized system in place for invoices and receipts?
- Most importantly, do you know what software you are going to use?
Did you answer “No” to most of those questions? Here are the key things I can help you with to make sure you start your business off on the right foot:
- Experience. I can provide you with priceless advice and serve as a sounding board as I know the pitfalls and can steer you in the right direction.
- The Right Contacts. Whether that is introducing you to a CPA or a tax accountant, I know who you need to talk to.
- Training. Even if you don’t want to do your own books, I always find it important to help my clients understand how to read their financial reports. You need to understand your cash flow to make your business work.
- Knowledge. I am here to give you my expert advice on accounting software and apps and I’ll help you answer all those questions up there and more!